Friday, August 10, 2012

Prayer Is Where The Action Is

Prayer is quite possibly the most underrated aspect of a Christian life.  It is so simple, so logical, and yet so neglected.  Many learn the Lord's Prayer when we are young and are taught to pray daily.  Yet, somewhere along the way we become jaded...

Whether it is a lack of thorough knowledge of the purpose of prayer, a lack of faith, or a lack of commitment, we lose sight of the power that prayer holds.  As we get older and our schedules get busier, it becomes almost natural to push off prayer until it is convenient.  Then, as prayer becomes less of a habit, it becomes something that we only turn to in times of great need.  And for some, it becomes so meaningless that it never even occurs to pray at all.

Prayer has always been something that I have struggled mightily with.  When I was in high school my grandfather was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  This was a man who was in good health, relatively young, and had never smoked or had any particularly unhealthy vices.  As you can imagine, this was quite unexpected and upsetting for our family.  I was particularly distraught, as I had a very close relationship with my "Grand-Dad."  I believe this was when I lost faith in prayer.  I was so bitter that I could not bring myself to speak to God.  Over the years, as I built a shield of resentment and anger around my soul, I led myself to believe that prayer was utterly useless and a hoax.

Now, with my shield broken and my faith revived, I find that it is still something that I continue to struggle with.   In the months leading up to my Residency, I was in constant communication with Him and as a result I had an incredible relationship with God.  However, at the start my Residency I was immersed in His Word daily and constantly in prayer... at CrossPoint.  One of the dangers of ministry, is that it becomes very easy to make excuses or to procrastine one's private prayer.  Fortunately, I have an incredible network of friends and mentors that have provided much needed counseling and accountability.  Through this accountability, I have purposefully renewed my efforts to make time for prayer.  I have found that prayer builds a sense of peace and joy that can only come from talking with God.

I think it is important to touch on the fact that prayer is not talking to God, but rather it is a conversation.  If you are seeking guidance, how will you get your answer if you don't take time to listen?  The missionary Frank Laubach said, "The trouble with nearly everybody who prays is that he says 'Amen' and runs away before God has a chance to reply.  Listening to God is far more important than giving Him our ideas."  Be patient and give Him a chance to respond.  Will you hear an audible response?  No, at least not in my personal experience.  But as you continue to diligently pray, you will learn to hear and understand His will.

"The trouble with nearly everybody who prays is that he says 'Amen' and runs away before God has a chance to reply.  Listening to God is far more important than giving Him our ideas."

Prayer is a powerful force.  Prayer is the essential work of all Christians, and by prayer all other work is accomplished.  One of my favorite quotes concerning prayer is by Martin Luther, "I have so much business I cannot get on without spending three hours daily in prayer."  When we pray for ourselves and others, we are beseeching God to intercede on our behalf.  Without prayer, we take the burdens of this world and put it on our own broken shoulders.  So make that time to pray... pray for yourself, pray for others, pray for this world.  There is so much work to be done that we cannot do it without Him

"I have so much business I cannot get on without spending three hours daily in prayer."


0 comments:

Post a Comment